Monday, November 19, 2018

I Went Viral and it Only Cost Me $19,160

One month ago yesterday, I was so sure I was going to kill myself that I went to the ER seeking help. This resulted in a 3 night, 2.5 day hospital stay and a bill for $19,160. My resulting Facebook post about the poor state of mental health care and outrageous cost went viral. At the time of writing this, my post has been shared 127,745 times and has 18,000 comments. I've been contacted by journalists, had the CEO of the behavioral health department of the hospital reach out to me, gotten more friend requests than you can shake a stick at, and even had one delusional soul show up at my place of employment.

To summarize, I was charged over $19,000 for adult daycare, my insurance sucks, I can kiss my IRA goodbye, and many people really cared. I've had complete strangers offer me money and a listening ear. One even sent me her phone number.

I obviously touched a nerve.

So, in the hopes of piggy-backing on my viral post, I am creating this blog. This is me, a woman with mental illness, navigating life and the American health care system. I also hope to share stories about current and past issues concerning the field of medicine and am willing to post my readers' stories, as well. I want to educate people on the pros and cons of our current system and how they affect real people. Along the way, I will share my life with you, giving you a glimpse into what it is like to live with depression, anxiety, and trichotillomania.

2 comments:

  1. Hi - Glad you are okay and hope you are getting some help - sorry you've been through all of this :( I think you should do a blog post introducing yourself and telling more about you and want lead to this situation. Glad you had the courage to share this and sending you (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry. I too an suffering from anxiety and depression and racing thoughts. Medical treatment is so high. Went to Dr and had $1200 bill. I see doctors and take medication, more money out. Mebtal health hurts . lost my job after 16 years and caused nervous breakdown. Now unable to work. I hope you get help with your bills. A friend

    ReplyDelete