Sunday, November 25, 2018

GoFundMe is Not an Insurance Company

But you might think it is. It's certainly the place where many people go to pay for their outrageous medical bills. After my Facebook post, I had several people ask where they could donate money to help me. Ultimately, after finding out I couldn't get any assistance from the hospital, I decided to cash out my IRA. Many people have decried this, shouting, "There are options!" But what options? Insurance won't pay. The hospital won't help. As far as I know I don't qualify for any government assistance. Is that last option crowd-sourcing? I chose not to go that route because I was able to get the money on my own, even if it means I no longer have my meager retirement savings and I have to pay the government an extra 10% in penalties. If I have another medical emergency, I will have to resort to crowd-sourcing.

Apparently, hospitals are now counting on this.

Michigan resident Hedda Elizabeth Martin is in need of a heart transplant and the hospital has told her she is "not a candidate" until she has a "more secure financial plan" to pay for the post-operative immunosurpressing drugs. Their suggestion? "A fundraising effort of $10,000." As of writing this, her GoFundMe campaign has raised over $12,000. This still will not guarantee Martin receives the needed transplant. The hospital will merely reconsider her situation.

The matter of someone living or dying should not rest on how well-connected they are or how viral their social media post goes.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, just found your blog. So sorry about everything. I'm glad you're still with us, despite the billing aftermath.
    Concerning the letter this woman received, I read it as them telling her how much more she needed to show in liquid assets to make her eligible to get on the list, not how to do it. Although "funds" usually refers to donations, not everyone is aware of that. She could raise the money cashing something out, like you had to do. I could be wrong, of course, but that's just how I read it.
    Good luck to you!! I have treatment resistant major depressive disorder, so I'm rooting for you! (When I have the energy and motivation, of course ;))

    ReplyDelete